Friday, May 3, 2013

friday fixation: pink and copper


I went to Home Depot for this necklace. Well, actually, I went into Home Depot to find supplies for another necklace idea. I couldn't find what I was looking for, but I did find these pretty copper link pieces (in the plumbing section) for 84 cents and couldn't leave without them.

Yup. You read that right. The copper tube was the least expensive part of this whole necklace.

Other materials you'll need is coloured string. I got mine at Home Depot, but several days later, I found almost the exact same string at the dollar store for way less (even though the HD string wasn't really that pricey at $5 for a roll). You don't have to go with pink, either. I just liked how it looked with the copper. There's neon yellow and orange, and even green.

So the only thing you need to source at a craft store is a clasp and those tiny little crimps (like these) to go on the end of the string. Just make sure you get the right size for the string you have. I also wish I had found some copper clasps and jump rings, but the place I get all my jewelry stuff was out so I just used some gold ones I had on hand. I've been told I'm being picky, but I'd like to fix it next I see some.

Now comes the super easy part.

Measure how long you want your necklace to be (I used a necklace I already had as a guide) and attach the crimps to the ends. If you need some guidance, I thought this video was quite helpful. I also added a tiny dab of E6000 just to be sure the string stayed put.

Attach a couple jump rings, a clasp, throw on the copper tube and you've got yourself a pretty snazzy necklace!

This has easily become my favourite piece to wear. There's just something about the copper and the pink and, I don't know, the simplicity of it all that just makes me so happy.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Sweet and simple! And I've been loving copper so much lately. Nice work!

If you're interested, I'd love to see you enter this over on our DIY contest! ;)
http://themerrythought.com/diy/merry-makes/